FAQ – The Cabin
page-template,page-template-full-width,page-template-full-width-php,page,page-id-2364,mkdf-bmi-calculator-1.0,mkd-core-1.1.1,tribe-no-js,wellspring-ver-1.8,mkdf-smooth-scroll,mkdf-smooth-page-transitions,mkdf-ajax,mkdf-grid-1300,mkdf-blog-installed,mkdf-header-standard,mkdf-no-behavior,mkdf-default-mobile-header,mkdf-sticky-up-mobile-header,mkdf-dropdown-default,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.5.2,vc_responsive,elementor-default,elementor-kit-4344,elementor-page elementor-page-2364


I do not have extended health care insurance. Can I claim massage therapy as an expense on my personal taxes?

Yes. Massage therapy is a tax-deductible medical expense, similar to dental or eyeglass expenses.

How do I pay for Therapy Treatments?

We accept payment by cash and cheque, debit, or Interac e-Transfer. Services offered by Heather Moerman may be eligible for Credit card payment.

If you belong to the following insurance companies, we can direct bill for you:

-Chamber of Commerce Group Insurance
-Desjardins Insurance
-First Canadian
-Great-West Life
-Industrial Alliance
-Johnston Inc.
-Johnston Group Inc.
-Manulife Financial
-Maximum Benefit
-Sun Life Financial

If you don’t see your insurance company on our list, we will issue you a receipt for you to include with your benefit claim or taxes.

What is the difference between a masseuse/masseur and an RMT?

Masseuse and Masseur are names that were used by some people before we became regulated by a government body. The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) started assigning the RMT designation in 1995. Someone calling themself a masseuse today is not registered or regulated and likely not insured.

What is the difference between “licensed,” “certified,” and “registered”?

A “licensed” or “certified” professional is not the same as a registered therapist. They generally do not possess liability insurance and may have as little as 500 hours of training. They are not included in extended health care plans, nor are they regulated by the CMTO. It is illegal to use the name or designations RMT or MT if you are not a member of the CMTO.

Recently, some have tried to modify our designation to lend credibility to their practices. For example; “Registered Aroma-Massage Therapist” and “Registered Myomassology Therapist.” Please be aware that the ONLY designation given by the CMTO is RMT (which can be shortened to MT). Others are not controlled by a professional college nor are they bound by the RHPA. All RMTs have a photo registration card. Ask to see it if you are uncertain of someone’s credentials.

What do I wear during a massage?

You can wear as much or as little clothing as you wish – whatever makes you feel comfortable. You will be covered by a sheet and blanket at all times. Your therapist will uncover one area at a time (e.g. your back) to treat and then cover it again when they are finished. You will always be told the treatment plan in detail, explaining what part of the body the therapist will be touching and uncovering. If you are not comfortable with the treatment explained to you, you can let the therapist know and s/he will modify it to your comfort level. You are always in control.